And so it is Saturday once again, however this Saturday is different. This Saturday I knew exactly what to bake when I woke up instead of spending all morning dithering about what I wanted to make. Just a shame that this decision had been made at about 3am this morning when I couldn’t sleep. I was so excited about what I was going to make that I went straight to town to buy the necessities, without realising that I was more than a bit knackered. To cut a long story short I spent the afternoon on the sofa, drinking tea and chatting with Woody and Cush, rather than baking – whoops! Sunday morning baking it is!
So in the meantime I shall bring you one of my many back up recipes (along with its dreadful photography). Apologies!
Lemon, Lemon, Lemon Cake
Now this is an old one! Made for David’s birthday last year, I decided to make it as lemony as possible as he is a fan of lemon. It’s made up of lemon sponge, lemon buttercream in the middle and lemon glace icing on top. Nom. You’ll have to forgive me with the elements of this recipe, I got some of this recipe from an american website, using cups and some from a british one using grams. Basically what I’m trying to say is that I’m very annoying and that to follow this you need scales and cups. Or the internet can also convert things, I’ve had to convert everything from grams to cups this week as (shock horror!) my scales broke! New ones will be here on Monday so all is not lost!
Enough of my yabbering! Here’s what you need:
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease two 9 inch sandwich pans.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk briefly.
3. In a separate bowl mix lemon juice, vanilla and sour cream and set aside.
4. Beat the butter in another bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, a few minutes if you’re using an electric whisk, fewer if you’ve got a posh standing mixer. Make sure you scrape down the bowl and beat in the lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each one.
5. Add in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream mixture in 2 additions. Whisk together until just combined.
6. Split the batter evenly between the sandwich pans and spread so its smooth.
7. Bake for 35-40 mins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 20 mins until turning on to a cooling rack.
- 100 g/4 oz butter, softened
- 225 g/ 8 oz icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- 30 ml/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
Beat the butter until light and creamy. Add in lemon juice and lemon rind while gradually adding in icing sugar. Whisk for a few minutes until its good and fluffy!
Lemon Glace Icing
- 150g Icing Sugar
- A few tbsp lemon juice
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add lemon juice until you get the consistency runny enough to spread on top of the cake.